Last night on the doorstep I met a couple of people who were thinking of voting Green. I would like to address a few of their concerns, here, and give all green considerers good reason to vote Lib Dem when the moment comes.
In government, Ed Davey and the Lib Dem team delivered a significant green agenda for the UK. This included:
- Securing £37bn investment in renewable electricity
- Establishing the world’s first Green Investment Bank
- Leading Europe to agree a new more ambitious EU-wide climate change target
- Planting more than 1 million trees
Our team also halted Conservative plans to scrap Natural England and give up on the England Coast Path (comment, here, from our own MP). I’m pleased to report that when Dan Rogerson took over in DEFRA he secured safe funding for the coastal project.
The Lib Dem manifesto takes the environmental agenda even further. At the heart of our plans are Five Green Laws which will stimulate more green growth, improve greener transport options, create more energy efficient homes, improve our air quality, reduce household waste and create a zero-carbon Britain within a generation.
- A Nature Bill
- A Heating and Energy Efficiency Bill
- A Zero Waste Britain Bill
- A Zero Carbon Britain Bill
- A Green Transport Bill
Here in Newbury and West Berkshire, I need your support to put a halt to ten years of Conservative neglect of the environment in our area.
If you want to create a more environmentally friendly, fairer society in Britain, voting Lib Dem, you are safe.