Yesterday was a big day for results all over the UK – more to come today. Here’s a run down of results for Liberal Democrat teams across the UK so far:
- We became the largest party on Stockport council, removing overall control from Labour and won the popular vote and more seats than Labour in Hull.
- We took significant seats from Conservatives in Cambridge, removing overall control from the Tories.
- In other English Councils, we’ve made gains in places like Sunderland, Cumbria, Barnsley, Essex, Kent, Lincolnshire, Devon, Surrey, Sheffield and Liverpool – taking seats from both the Conservatives and Labour. (Apologies if I miss somewhere out. Please let me know!)
- Welsh Liberal Democrat Leader Jane Dodds won in Mid and West Wales.
- In Scotland, we’ve held all four of our constituency seats, Orkney, Shetland, Edinburgh Western and North East Fife – racking up a huge majorities in both Edinburgh Western and North East Fife. We also came close to winning Caithness, Sutherland and Ross, slashing the SNP’s local majority. This is even more impressive given the SNP have been taking seats off Labour and the Conservatives left and right.
- Teams in Manchester, Bolton, Cornwall, Calderdale, Reading and Maidstone unfortunately haven’t had the results their hard work deserves and their communities have lost some fantastic local champions as a result.
YET TO COME:
- We’re hoping for good results too in Oxfordshire and Wokingham, both of which will be counting later today.
- In London, most of our likely areas do not start counting until later today, so we won’t have clear outcomes until this evening.
- Regional List results in Scotland are also still to come later today.
- There are of course, many more Mayoralties and PCC results still to count over the next 2 days.
- You can keep up to date on all of the latest developments over the course of the day on our election live blog here: www.libdems.org.uk/results-2021