Under Ed Davey’s determined stewardship in the department of energy, somewhat to the consternation of conservatives such as Michael Fallon and George Osborne, there has been massive investment in renewables:
- Electricity generation from renewable sources has doubled since 2010 and now supplies 15% of the UK’s electricity.
- The average annual investment in renewables has more than doubled since 2010.
- In 2013 alone, £8bn investment in renewables.
- Solar PV 2011 – 2013: £6.4 billion. Rather wonderfully, the cost of installation has halved since 2010.
- Biomass and Bioenergy 2010 – 2013: £6.3bn investment.
- carbon capture and storage research supported to the tune of £1bn – not bad for research funding.
New manifesto plans include legal targets for clean air and water, an end to dirty coal power stations and an ambitious decarbonisation target for the electricity sector.
If you want to read more, take a look at: